Sunday, April 01, 2007

Peter's Implicit Faith

Immediately after this, Jesus told his disciples to get into their boat and cross to the other side of the lake while he stayed to get the people started home.

Then afterwards he went up into the hills to pray. Night fell, and out on the lake the disciples were in trouble. For the wind had risen and they were fighting heavy seas.

About four o'clock in the morning Jesus came to them, walking on the water! They screamed in terror, for they thought he was a ghost.

But Jesus immediately spoke to them, reassuring them, "Don't be afraid!" he said.

Then Peter called to him: Sir, if it is really you, tell me to come over to you, walking on the water."

"All right," the Lord said, "Come along!"

So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he looked around at the high waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" he shouted.

Instantly Jesus reached out his hand and rescued him. "O man of little faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?" And when they had climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.

The others sat there, awestruck. "You really are the Son of God!" they exclaimed.

Matthew 14:22-33 The Living Bible

Continuing on in the theme of the life and letters of Peter, I found this account in Matthew about an experience Peter has with Jesus.

I have been reflecting on this passage because I am trying to grasp what Calvin meant by claiming, "Faith is implicit".

This story includes a number of frightening accounts: severe weather conditions, an approaching figure that could be a ghost, and a man walking on the water.

Now consider Peter. Peter is so confident he calls out to Jesus and asks to walk with him.

In my way of thinking Peter seems to have an extraordinary amount of faith. He even goes over the side of the boat and begans walking toward Jesus.

On the other hand he sees the waves and becomes terrified.

Perhaps as a man discovers the trust he has in God he also discovers the distrust he has in God. In this story Calvin's words stand out to me: "In all men faith is always mingled with incredulity."

Note the moment at which Peter begins to sink. He looks at the high waves and begins to go down.

Isn't this just like doubt? It is like a sinking. However much a man may doubt, he may doubt even more. As the human eye fails to find hope in a situation he can continue to fail in finding hope. Presumably Peter could have landed at the bottom of the sea, but is there any limit to the depths of one's doubt?

The Apostle writes that as believers in Christ we are to walk by faith and not by sight. In the same way that Peter's human vision, his reasoning capabilities, his understanding of the storm failed to give him hope, so too our human measures are totally unable to give us the confidence God desires for us.

To have faith we must see what is invisible, we must think about ideas that cannot be thought, we must understand what cannot be understood.

As a child I went with my parents to a concert at Willow Creek in Chicago. I was puzzled by the way the singers would sometimes close their eyes while singing. "Don't they want to know what's happening around them?" I thought. They seemed to do it more on the slow songs.

My mom would explain it to me: "They close their eyes because they're shutting the world out. The things they feel inside are so tremendous and profound that their physical sight only distracts them."

In some ways the Sea of Galilee account is like a story of two Peters. On the one hand we have a Peter who is aware of Christ, his dominion, and his love for Peter. The other Peter is only aware of the height of the waves and the storm. The second Peter sees what is visible, and the first Peter sees what is invisible, and, as the writer of Hebrews notes, what is invisible is eternal.

Another aspect of this passage is how God views our doubt.

"O man of little faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?"

Some people view doubt as a kind of evidence. "You should doubt it, and eventually you will find it cannot be doubted." They say. But everything can be doubted. Those who take up doubting with any seriousness soon discover it cannot be exhausted.

If doubt cannot prove anything one way or the other, then why turn to it? Why did Peter doubt Jesus?

Perhaps Peter just liked doubting Jesus. Some people like chocolate icecream and others like strawberry icecream, but often neither can explain why they like one flavor over the other. Perhaps Peter just liked to doubt Jesus. Perhaps we all like to doubt Jesus.

Something tells me that we do not distrust Jesus just because that seems preferable to us. And so Jesus' question remains:

"Why did you doubt me?"

Certainly there are times when I think I am close to God. I'll have a moment where God seems to speak particularly to me. Then I get on an airplane and it begins to shake. Or some high bills come in the mail. Or I get no grade for a project I turn in. I get anxious and before long I find myself asking with Paul, "Why? Why do I do what I do not want to do?".

How does God view our doubt?

Kierkegaard answered this question in his work Philosophical Fragments. Every situation where one may doubt one also has the opportunity to not doubt as well. This possibility is a constant in all our circumstances, and this possibility is essentially our duty before God.


Praise God that unlike everything in Hollywood or the fantasies of men he has given us stories of people we can identify with! When I read passages like this in the Bible I quickly recall my shortcomings, but God also provides me with a glimpse of how wonderful our relationship can become.

God was able to use an up-and-down character like Peter in great and mighty ways. Like a scultor working with marble, God was able to develop Peter. This development involved learning that we should not be followers of what our physical eyes tell us and also that He has provided us with the chance to trust Him always.

Labels:


10 Comments:

Blogger SocietyVs said...

"Some people view doubt as a kind of evidence. "You should doubt it, and eventually you will find it cannot be doubted." They say. But everything can be doubted. Those who take up doubting with any seriousness soon discover it cannot be exhausted." (BBush)

I totally would agree here - in terms of life in general - doubt cannot be quenched. It's the human pre-disposition to doubt what he/she is told as perhaps 'not altogether true'. We do this with everything in life - that's why so many companies have complaint departments...for us to vent some of that doubt.

I think you capture the point of the story quite well - 'doubt'. Jesus had even provided an example for Peter to not have an ounce of doubt in him - yet Peter still found his doubt irregardless. This story also parallels the idea Jesus was the Messiah - something the larger Jewish community totally doubted.

Monday, 02 April, 2007  
Blogger Gigi said...

Kierkegaard answered this question in his work Philosophical Fragments. Every situation where one may doubt one also has the opportunity to not doubt as well. This possibility is a constant in all our circumstances, and this possibility is essentially our duty before God.

I think I understand this and I think it may be where I am.....duty before God....kinda scary....not one to choose well...

Tuesday, 03 April, 2007  
Blogger brokencattletruck said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, 03 April, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"It's the human predisposition to doubt what he/she is told..." SvS

I agree with you in the sense that avoiding the choice to believe is characteristic of human practice. Although I think we are often influenced by nature and circumstance to behave this way, I think the choice is ultimately up to us.

As bjk says, "Kinda scary...".

-A Sinner Because I Sin

Tuesday, 03 April, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

SuperDuper,

Interesting how you describe 'believing on less evidence' as "anorexic faith". Indeed it does seem like such an approach could leave one believing the moon is made of swiss cheese, the existence of St. Brendan's Island, pilt down man, etc.

There is a vast difference between external evidence and internal evidence. The two seem similar, but they are very different. The inwardness of subjectivity is a vast realm of spiritual guidance -if one has the 'eyes to see' it.

If one catches just a glimpse of this domain, if all he can see is the size of a mustard seed, if he cannot explain to anyone what he has seen, even this is enough to give him complete confidence.

But understanding the physical domain is different. A jury can hear from a hundred eye witnesses and never approach the certainty Descartes referred to -a certainty one would like to have about the next life in the face of death.

If a person has a small amount of physical evidence (as in our case the testimony of the Apostles passed down through the ages) but is able to "see" the fullness of the gospel and to "hear" the word of God he has enough to be convinced.

The difference is spiritual. When I look at the moon my spirit does not cry out, "If only it were made of swiss cheese!" -even though such a circumstance may seem interesting.

On the other hand when I examine the subtlety of Christ in his preaching and the way he searches me out I say to myself, "Surely this man was the Son of God!". Flesh and blood cannot reveal this, just as the Lord said it cannot.

You may be interested in reading this post on Bertrand Russell's demand for (what he calls) evidence ... which I just realized SvS and SFD commented on, and I have rudely neglected to respond to them.

Wednesday, 04 April, 2007  
Blogger brokencattletruck said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, 04 April, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

I think there is a certain spotlight Jesus does not want to take. Consider Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss. Sadly so much is done to be seen by men. We have all these doctrines and historical defences of Jesus, but is he really the guide of our lives ...?

To learn what attention Jesus wanted for himself I think we should ask three questions that Jesus himself asked:

1) "What do the Scriptures teach?"
2) "Who do people say that I am?"
3) "Who do you say that I am?"

Consider this verse:

As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.
John 3:14-15

Could I perhaps ask you to explain how you came to a place of affection for God the Father but not God the Son?

I recommend reading the book of John. It has a lot to say about how close Jesus is with the Father. As for myself, I am convinced that the only way to heaven is through Jesus.

"...so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him." John 5:23

"no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 6:14b

"He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him" John 12:48a

Friday, 06 April, 2007  
Blogger brokencattletruck said...

I'm sorry that my questions invited Sunday school answers.

Sunday, 08 April, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"I'm sorry that my questions invited Sunday school answers." SD

"Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so."
Karl Barth

"I prefer talking with children, with them one can still hope they may become rational beings; but those who have become that -Lord save us!" SK

"Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."
Jesus

Monday, 09 April, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God that it is NOT our Faith but The Faith of Christ that Redeems us.

Peace
Geo

Tuesday, 10 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home