Sunday, October 14, 2007

Beyond Understanding

I recently read an article on hydrocephalus that was hard to believe.

Hydrocephalus is a disease where the cranial fluid does not drain correctly from the vessels in the head. It gradually builds up over time, and for years it killed many children.

One of the cases was hard to believe.

Apparently, there was a fourteen year old boy who was treated for hydrocephalus. He returned to the doctor's office as an adult claiming he felt a mild weakness in one of his legs.

The hospital staff performed an MRI on his head and produced what I consider to be one of the most shocking pictures I have ever seen!



When I first looked at this man's head I thought the dark stuff was the brain. It turns out that the dark part is actually water.

His brain is the lighter edge around the dark middle part. As you can see, there isn't a lot of it.


The images were most unusual... the brain was virtually absent.
Dr. Lionel Feuillet


He was able to lead a seemingly normal life with almost no brain left. They gave him an IQ test and he scored a 75, which is considered low, but not retarded.

What perhaps baffled me the most was the fact that he was married and had two children. He also worked as a civil servant for the government.

One of his doctor's remarked on the case:

"What I find amazing to this day is how the brain can deal with something which you think should not be compatible with life,"

In some ways I think the doctor's words reflect how I have often viewed the brain: as a profound, almost celestial organ that gives us life and saves us from every problem and disaster we face.

People almost talk about the brain ("the mind") like it is something spiritual, like it alone gives meaning to their life ... as if they are saying, 'If I find love and loved greatly, but have a weak mind, my life is then nothing ...'.


...Lean not on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5b


People often consider themselves highly because of the immensity of their knowledge. They see it is a noble duty to learn as much as they can and lord it over others ... I know this was my attitude through many of my highschool and college days.

In some ways the story is a good reminder of how much brain activity it takes to live ethically before God and our authorities on earth.

I find it tragic the way people commit awful crimes and their lawyers say, "If only they were more educated, if only they knew better." I wish I could go into those court rooms and hold up the MRI scans from that French man and shout loudly for the whole room:

"This man knew better!"

In some ways the story reminds me of Paul's command to become like infants in regard to evil.

Certainly the man's life says a lot about living with the fullness of obedience, and the richness of living an ethical life. I also find another aspect to the story.

Christ praised his Father beause He had ordained praise from the mouths of infants. I think there is a tendancy to look at infants and say, "Those little tikes are so cute, but so ignorant."

As humans we tend to value ourselves on the basis of our own shrewdness, but God listens to the praises of infants. He hears the requests of those who become like little children.

In the end of all things, I don't think it really matters whether one brain is larger than another brain. Maybe the French man comically thought he was a genius. I can't say.

What I can say is that it is very important to simply rely upon God and not on the puffed-up notions we have of our own intelligence.

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:2


May the Lord direct and continue to direct us to His perfect will, which human thoughts cannot understand.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi BB,

As a grandmother, I have become so aware of how refreshing the innocence of children is. It is the best medicine. I think that is what God desires from us. To wash and cleanse us of the world and return us to the state of innocent children before Him that He might be refreshed in us.

You know? That's what I want too.

Pam

Monday, 15 October, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

I think you're right about that. People told me (a lot) in college that children often have behavior problems, and, for the most part, they have their point, but ... I find a simplicity in children which is beautiful. I also have this sense of duty to find that same thing in myself. I could use a good washing, that's for sure -a burning cleanse.

-The Bush

Monday, 15 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Our God is a consuming fire." That Holy Spirit fire burns in all of us who are in Jesus. I am thankful for it's cleansing power. The burning away of all that is of our flesh coupled with the soothing washing of His Word.:0)

"Come to me all who are weary"

You sound a bit weary today.

Pam

Monday, 15 October, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Mentally, yes, grad school is a weary subject for me. Spiritually I feel like I am always 'just beginning' to realize inwardly what an unworthy servant I am.

Wednesday, 17 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, BB,

We're all unworthy. If we were worthy why would we need God? Don't let your unworthiness bring you down, give it to Jesus, and allow Him to lift you to God. He is faithful to do so.

You are so young to have the devotion that is evident in the things you write and say. That is Jesus in you and God is very pleased.

We are all so frail and we can be so hard on one another. Everything we hate in each other is also hiding within ourselves. It is true that our sin brought death to every one and every living thing that makes up God's Creation but God so loves us as a part of that Creation that He is working to save us along with it rather than destroy us for bringing destruction to His marvelous work. It was Eve taking the world on her shoulders by desiring to take on the responsibilites of God that got us into this mess. Don't you do it too! Give your burden to Jesus and rejoice that you have been obtained by God through Him. Rest in Him and allow Him to take your weariness away. Continue to rest in Him even when you are active and His works will flow through you apart from your effort. His yoke is easy.

Pam

Thursday, 18 October, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Hey Pam,

Thanks for the uplifting words. Though I have spent a lot of time reflecting on the garden, I haven't considered it in terms of people taking "God's burdens" on themselves. If this was a motivation for Adam and Eve, it seems remarkable how (for them and for us) we are given according to our faith.

When I consider Christ's words, "Blessed are the poor in spirit...", I feel like there is a divine happiness that I have shrugged off with my boastful spirit. You know what it's like to understand the Bible as a form of information? It is another thing completely to understand it in spirit. I have found this to be the case with understanding my sin ... to say with Christ, "Woe to the things that cause men to sin!"

John writes that anyone who says he has not sinned accuses God of lieing. To this extent I find it necessary to remember my wrongs (and I do remember my wrongs everyday), but to remember also that love keeps no record of wrongs and that in God's love this record has been taken so very far away. I don't quite know how to explain it.

Anyway, I especially liked your post ... very edifying, indeed!

Friday, 19 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He does so much we can't explain but at the right moment, when another most needs it, His Spirit gives us just the right words, just the right explanation.

I too disagree with Christians who get almost angry if one mentions sin. I hate my sin but I know that my sinfulness also reminds me of my neediness and keeps me close to Jesus. I even know a group online who continually tell one another how perfect they are, that the world is now perfect, (except for those nasty religious Chrisitians in church---I don't I can't figure out how the define religion) but it seems to me they've forotten their need for Jesus and are just high on puffing one another up. Forgive me Lord, if I musjudge...my point is that God is actively working the evil and the good in us and in our lives to the good. Denying the evil just blinds us to the miracle of the good that God is creating in us.

Pray for our mutual friend.

Pam

Friday, 19 October, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

I will do that, Pam.

I will do that.

Friday, 19 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, BB. He's breaking my heart.

Pam

Friday, 19 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home