Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Storm And The Fall


"Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.

The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock.

And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell-- and great was its fall!"

Now when Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

Matthew 7:24-29


My wife and I were talking about depression tonight.

When does it come upon a person? What can they do to avoid it?

She mentioned a certain woman who died from diabetes. Her husband became greatly depressed, talked about taking his life, and eventually did take his own life.

Of course there would be no way for us to go inside the man and see his sorrow, but his final act does shed some light on it. Consider the possibilities.

Either:

1) The man was full of joy, but this changed when he lost his wife. He became so sad at her passing that his sadness became unbearable, and so he decided to end this burden by taking his own life.

Or:

2) The man had ceased to live long ago. His wife brought him drama, desire, and distraction. He eventually forgot he already had a foot in the grave. When he lost his wife he lost his ability to forget he was already dead, and so he took his own life.

Let us say the first possibility is the case. If this man had meaning in life only to lose it when his wife left then it follows that meaning in life is a matter of external consequence.

It would follow that the best way to find meaning in life is to learn every means of hanging onto the things one finds valuable as long as possible. Research diabetes. Start government programs to assure oneself that diabetes will almost never take anyone's spouse.

And what kind of certainty can one have of happiness in such a life? If such a grand effort could make such a difference, it would still be a risk. The rest is just a matter of how long it lasted.

Maybe one could enjoy meaning in life for a short while, or perhaps for a longer while.

And what of the certainty of death? Suppose this man was reflectively aware that his wife gave him meaning in life. Would he be unable to realize that she would one day be separated from him, as we all are, in death?

Perhaps he had hoped to hang on to his meaning in life as long as he could. Then when she was taken from him in death he could look back and say, "Surely I have no meaning left in life, but there was a time when it did have meaning. I can go on living because I still remember when my life did have meaning."

Or perhaps he would exit as abruptly as a film watcher who had only hoped to see a certain scene in a movie. Could you see him rising suddenly and walking out in the middle of the movie?

Suppose an employee approached him before he left the building. "But sir, this is the only showing you are permitted to see with this ticket! This is a great insult to the director who gave you this ticket."

"That was the only scene I wanted to see." Perhaps he could have walked right out of the theater. Maybe he could even smile as he did it. But how far down could such a smile go?


The other explanation also remains.

The man may have said to himself (though perhaps in a secretive way): "I hate all this, and myself. The choices that follow, the events, the circumstances, why even fate itself means nothing. I might as well get married, I do not care."

Or he could have said it differently:

"My life means nothing to me. The Bible says that, 'He who findeth a wife findeth a good thing'. I should at least be compensated for having this life that means nothing to me."

Or he could have said it another way:

"I have this intense longing. What I long for I do not know, it escapes me. When I find it I will look at myself in the mirror and say, 'Now my life has importance to me.' Until I find such a thing I might as well get married."

In such a view a person may pursue all kinds of successes and distractions, but the real despair has nothing to do with the success or failure of such efforts. It was there all along.

Consider the one Jesus identifies as the foolish man:

And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell-- and great was its fall!


In this parable we hear about a foolish man who built his house on the sand. He was too foolish to avoid building his house upon a rock.

Suppose there were more foolish people afterwords who said, "How sad! This man had an excellent house! The only problem was the outer circumstance: the storm blew it down!"

Christ calls all such talk folly.

The difference between the wise and the foolish man had nothing to do with the ferocity or the mildness of the storm.

The house of the wise man faced the storm and it stood firmly.

The difference between the two houses was not their surroundings. The difference was in that secret place that no one could see. The difference was that hidden thing holding up the house.

The foolish man did not have such a foundation, and so much the worse for every person who looks longingly in life and says, "If only I had a career so that people would respect me," Or, "If only I had a fetching wife who met my desires."

Suppose such a person finds and keeps a career or a wife. Everything seems to hold together, just as the house of the foolish man seemed to hold together.

But then suppose their final day comes. Suppose they look back on their lives and remember, "Ah, yes, there was really nothing more to my career, or to my spouse... my ticket has come up, and I feel I have won nothing."

On the other hand, this conscious realization is sometimes avoided. People die suddenly without recalling anything. Has such a person escaped justice?

I wonder if a person were to build a house on the shore, and, let us say imaginatively that he was able to avoid remembering his foundation through rigorous mental training, if he could enjoy his time living there?

Would he not have an unnameable fear, a sweat on the back of his neck, following him along and stealing the delight of his every achievement? Would he not exchange his awareness of a conscious, terrible disaster for a worse dred of something vague and devastating?

The Apostle clearly states that a man reaps what he sows.


Another possibility: if a man were able to die unconscious of his already being dead, would it be possible to die in consciousness of still living?

Suppose the suicidal man had taken the fatal poison and said to himself -in spite of his earlier speculations- "You know what? I do believe God still loves me! This love is totally unsearchable and yet I see it so exactly!" Would it be too late for the man who had forgotten he was already dead to find himself oddly alive?

The question is of decisive importance for all.

Certainly we have not all put ourselves in a place where we will all die immediately, but neither is anyone able to say how long it will be before they die.

And it is not too late for anyone now alive to hear Christ's words and put them into practice, to believe on the one sent by God, to forgive one's enemies, to ask earnestly -as the thief did- to be remembered by Christ in His kingdom!

Life has its storms, it is too true, and we are right to weep over them. At the same time it is also true that every house has a foundation, either one that can be shaken or one that cannot be shaken.

A person would do well to ask, "What foundation is my life resting on? Have I heard the words of Christ and put them into practice?"


Labels: ,


18 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

long post and one I will come back to.....

spouse and I discuss this and point each other back and over and over to the one who sustains....thanks for this I will be rereading it.

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

"A person would do well to ask, "What foundation is my life resting on?" (BB)

Oddly enough, my wife and I had a long discussion about a similar situation last night (based on a documentary we watched). The story goes...

A ladies husband dies trying to break up a fight next door (a party of some sort). She is in shock and is broken - but realizes for her kids sake she has to pull herself together. The killer is not caught for a few years (in the meantime she re-married) but when he does he confesses - based on her idea of restorative justice (she would work with him to heal). They end up working together and going on a mini-tour about restorative justice (and they both heal in that time) and how it works. Eventually that ends and she writes a book on the whole thing (gives it to the community that shunned her for re-marrying and doing what she did - shaming her husband's name).

She found out something important about life. Prior to this she was just a housewife with kids - owned a nice home, good husband, cars, the ideal life - what was expected of her by society - she was. But expectations aren't real and no one should guide themselves by that thermometor - and she realized this - life has more of a meaning than 'fitting in'. Anyone can have a good life - but can everyone find a 'purpose' for their life? This is lacking in society in a huge way.

I think after that show I saw just how mundane things can get in our day to day lives - it is no wonder that people committ suicide - life is chalked up to meanings that can be reduced to peer pressure and looking good. As a human society we are lacking the essence of finding purpose for our lives - which is kind of sad.

Friday, 17 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"Spouse and I discuss this and point each other back and over and over to the one who sustains..." BJK

That is really important because co-dependence and attachment are so common and easily mistaken for love. Although we have a duty to love our spouses, our joy will never be complete so long as it depends on having them.

"Long post..." BJK

A great difficulty for the reader, to be sure, although one that I presently feel no need to apologize for.

Saturday, 18 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"...It is no wonder that people committ suicide - life is chalked up to meanings that can be reduced to peer pressure and looking good." SocietyVS

Well said.

Sounds like between BJK, you, and I, we've done a lot of talking with our spouses about codependence on spouses ;)

"But expectations aren't real and no one should guide themselves by that thermometor" SocietyVS

Hmm ... I'd say expectations can be very real. More real than the external world, certainly.

The best expectations, however, are the ones people find after they have completely surrendered all expectation.

Saturday, 18 August, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If people don't have Christ what is left but co-dependence? Alchohol? Drugs? Materialism?

Sunday, 19 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Attachment and distraction are two common alternatives for that which has no substitute.

Sunday, 19 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

I've been thinking a lot about this passage lately.

The parable seems so distant from me. I'm sure I could never have thought of it -or if anyone could "think up" something like that.

It really says it just like it is. I stand back and say to myself, "Flesh and blood did not reveal this."

You ever have something inside you jump aside and say, "This is so real!" That's what it is like for me.

After living a life of constantly studying apologetics, philosophy, and 'evidences' I read these words which I have kept at arms length and say, "This man was the Son of God!"

I read and I think, "No one really understands what it means to build one's life on the rock!"

This could be true, and it is very sad if it is. On the other hand I feel like the words here are for me, and that it is worth nothing to merely reiterate or analyze them.

They have to be in me and I have to live them if I am to really 'get' their meaning.

Sunday, 19 August, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very discouraging day at church. The sermon was on tithing (the only doctrine that never gets thrown out) and really, it was just a sales pitch to get money. You know, "you give and you'll get". I was looking for the t.v. cameras. The preacher called it a 'spiritual principal that predated the Law' and that was how he justified keeping an OT ordinance in such a legalistic fashion. Not that it is wrong to give 10% but in Christ, we do not give to get what we already have in Him but instead, we give hilariously with joy in celebration of the freedom we have in Christ. That is the difference between living according to principles and knowing God through Jesus Christ. Yes, He is the Son of God and what we have in Him is unexplainable to those who don't belong to Him, who do not see Him for Who He truly is.

Ah! I don't know if I expressed what is in my heart that resonates with your last comment. I just feel sad that so many don't seem to get it these days. I don't know if it is just the area I live in but the chruch seems to be poor, blind, and naked and they don't even know their lack.

Sunday, 19 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Your description of predictability in sermons is a discussion in itself. A sad and very long discussion.

A couple of notes on the sermon you heard:

Tithing did come before the law, but it was not so much tithing itself as the ministry of Melchizadek, a foreshadowing of Christ, which the writer of Hebrews emphasized in his letter.

Abraham did tithe, but I don't think we understand Abraham (see my previous two posts on Abraham). In his day, no one had tithed before. His tithe did not come out of routine or tradition but from inside, perhaps hilariously, as if it was the first time ever -and perhaps it was. Who knows?

God created the heavens and the earth in six days -out of nothing. He continues to create love in the hearts of his Chosen ones -not out of clay, aluminum, or any preexisting material or circumstance. It is "gratuitous" as the reformers emphatically reminded Europe (not) so very long ago.

I understand and identify with your frustration, my anonymous friend. You write as one who has spent a long time in the church, who knows all the avenues of the sermon system designed to be acceptable to the many while perhaps hiding ulterior motives.

I understand and I identify.

It was not two months ago that I myself walked right out of church in the middle of a sermon. The pastor was talking about how it takes more faith to be an athiest because Christianity had more evidence. I could not stand to hear him attack faith, so I left.

When I left the congregation that day I read the beginning of 1 Corinthians to confirm my views about how anyone who thinks himself wise should make himself a fool (although I was really thinking myself wise).

What I found was there was a lot in 1 Corinthians against divisions, that this was something Paul (and God) was truly burdened to hear of.

This was my realization:

Bad theology and bad teachings are all over the place, even in "orthodox" congregations. John tells us that Christ commends the churchs that do not put up with false teaching.

But here is the ultimate question: What are you going to do about it?

If you have faith and God to strengthen you, you can bring down giants with a slingshot. But can you take good intentions and good teachings and place them inside another person who is not willing to receive them? ... To do something God Himself does not and refuses not to do?

My only refuge from my bitterness is the devotion God has called me to. I can do little for these people you mention, and neither can you, but ultimately it is not their actions we shall be called to answer for.

To return to the bottom line (what can you do?) the answer is simple: set apart Christ in your heart as Lord, just as Peter said. If Christ reigns in your heart (although it is not really your heart I am addressing, but my own) then bitterness will have no place.

I have taken it upon myself to criticize the teachings of your church. As for your views I have nothing critical to say because you are correct.

But true correctness has little to do with the teachings one assents to and everything to do with earnestly following everything the Spirit has to say to us.

I think you have already hinted at this point -the very point God labors to instill in his chosen people everyday.

I hope my words have not been too much of a burden for you. I am grateful to have read from someone who shares my concerns and understands the grief bad teaching can cause in the heart of those who have concern for such things.

I will pray for your welfare both physically and that you may be spared from the sad refrain I read between your words, or perhaps that you may find a wonderful victory in it. Please also pray for me, my anonymous friend, and the same struggles which I also have.

May the everlasting God who watches over you at all times guide you into His perfect peace all the more as you grow in your trust toward Him.

Amen!

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

"the chruch seems to be poor, blind, and naked and they don't even know their lack." (Anon)

Hmmm...asleep in the light by Keith Green it sounds like...I think your right on this one - I think church has lost it essence in it's structure - quite a long time ago.

"They have to be in me and I have to live them if I am to really 'get' their meaning." (BB)

I agree 100%. I have also talked about this in a few posts I have done - a continuing revelation of sorts happens with those scriptures - when we live out the values we are being taught. There are series of 'ah ha' moments but their is also a gradual growth in what we realize about what we are reading - which only comes after years of living and thinking about them - they actually become ours in some way (we elaborate on them - which I think makes God happy?).

I have found the search for 'truth' has revealed it is a process - and truth is not something 'set in stone/static' - it's something we find out as we go on and interact with it - that's why so much of Jesus' stuff just resonates strongly in the reader - cause we keep finding brilliance in the writings/teachings.

"But here is the ultimate question: What are you going to do about it?" (BB)

I have to say - we just can't keep letting this happen in our churches as they continue to get dilluted with 1/2 truths and absurd cash cows. I think we need to stand our ground on good theology and when we hear something over the pulpit - we need to discuss it with the person that taught it - so we can try to clarify that theology and maybe even see some changes.

I like it BB - sounds like a call for change - you should start a group on here that discusses theology and teaching - from various minister sites - then we make a join e-mail committe to contact that person to ask questions about that problem theology...I am game!

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"There are series of 'ah ha' moments but their is also a gradual growth in what we realize about what we are reading - which only comes after years of living and thinking about them - they actually become ours in some way (we elaborate on them - which I think makes God happy?)." SocietyVS

Seriously, Jason, you have a real talent for expressing things which are difficult and even at times impossible to express. Well said.

"I like it BB - sounds like a call for change - you should start a group on here that discusses theology and teaching - from various minister sites - then we make a join e-mail committe to contact that person to ask questions about that problem theology...I am game!"

It is a call for change, although not of the kind that anyone would necessarily notice easily.

I have many, many theological views, but I have never even been tempted to challenge anyone's theology on this site. I have certainly not been tempted to form a committee, or to appeal to the deception that ensues when humans look to other humans for approval.

Your stated goal of "clarifying the theology" is commendable and certainly worth expending some effort. On the other hand true clarification can only come from God.

If our anonymous friend correctly or incorrectly senses a problem with his or her pastor's teachings, there is little they can do without their pastor's consent. A church is not like the US Senate where committees weigh in on things. The pastor can say, at any time, to Patrick Fitzgerald, "You are dismissed". Or tell me if I have overlooked something.

Tuesday, 21 August, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, guys it is just me, Pam. Now if I could learn to spell chruch...yikes!

It seems to me that many church leaders are leaving behind sound Biblical teaching because they feel it is irrevelant. They also don't seem to really be focused on the Truth, Jesus. I notice that there are times when His Name isn't even mentioned and other times, He gets a mention only. The only word for it that comes to mind is apostate and that is a scary word. How can someone knowingly turn from the living God?

I am much too old however, to think that it will be changed by my confronting those who supress the truth. Been there and done that and I know that prayer is my only avenue for change. Things are so far gone that only an intervention from God can turn anyone back to God. Those of us in Christ can only watch and wait.

I do agree with Jason though in that we have to do more than just talk about our faith, it has to be lived or it is dead faith. Dead faith seems to abound today and I don't want to be swept away by it.

Pam

Tuesday, 21 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Hi Pam,

I wondered if it might be you, but the style appeared different to me somehow.

"It seems to me that many church leaders are leaving behind sound Biblical teaching because they feel it is irrevelant. They also don't seem to really be focused on the Truth, Jesus." Pam

You've definitely hit the nail on the head here.

I feel like churches today have this attitude of, "Yeah, Jesus is good, but think about how good it would also be to be very organized", or, 'Jesus is good to have, but he is merely an individual so is also good to have community.' (see The Purpose Driven Life).

The feel is, "Let's supplement Jesus with something that is not Jesus and then stop talking about Jesus."

"How can someone knowingly turn from the living God?" Pam

Without considering this question too much so as to fall into the unhappy outcome it presents (for indeed we are all capable of that and have all, in one way or another, done that very thing) I think it is good to remember that God does not place his picture on billboards or advertise on the internet.

If He willed it, He could write John 3:16 across the sky. Then perhaps everyone would say to each other and to themselves, "Ah, God is real and I should obey Him." (Of course, they wouldn't really change their lives, as we have many examples of doubt rising on the heels of miracles in the Bible).

In this present life, however, God keeps Himself at a bit of a distance (although, as Paul says, He is not far from any of us). He may not be seen directly, but if we carefully and earnestly review a parable or consider the subtlety of the Psalmist -and truly want to- they we may perhaps see God.

I say that not only so that we may have the faith to ask for mercy in our times of distance from God, but also to sympathize with those who stumble, just as our high priest in heaven sympathizes with us in our weakness.

"I do agree with Jason though in that we have to do more than just talk about our faith, it has to be lived or it is dead faith." Pam

I completely agree.

Wednesday, 22 August, 2007  
Blogger Timothy said...

Very great post burning bush...

It's always so tragic when someone loses the meaning in their life so suddenly, and so unexpectedly, that they drive themselves to suicide.

I've never heard someone use that passage in that way before, i remember it as a song i used to sing in sunday school as a kid. Your interpretation was apt though, the foolish man builds his meaning on the sand. The parallel is so striking, im amazed I hadn't thought about it earlier.

Wednesday, 22 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Timothy,

It is tragic, as you say. A tragedy that has been told and retold in the lives of every living person.

I'm not sure if the song you're referring to is the one by Psalty (don't build you house upon the sand land ...) or another one (the rains came down and the waters went up), but these songs have been on my mind a lot lately.

And they have a new meaning for me.

I wouldn't have mentioned it, but since your blog is 'existential', my (brief) readings in Nietchze led me to the claim that the only worthwhile question in philosophy is: "Why is life preferable to suicide?".

As I considered this question I began to wonder if Christ ever addressed it. I read this parable with much dread and thought, 'This is exactly what Christ is referring to!'

'But whoever takes the water I give him will never be in need of drink again; for the water I give him will become in him a fountain of eternal life.'

"Jesus said to her, 'I am myself that day and that life; he who has faith in me will have life even if he is dead; and no one who is living and has faith in me will ever see death. Is this your faith?'"

This is the foundation Christ is referring to. The house built on the rock will not be shaken, and even if it is shaken (physically in this mortal life) it will be built again, in the same way the temple was built three days later.

But the world talks about giving people the will to live by external means. They say that if a person has enough things on the outside: food, money, surfing, healthcare, jokes, they will find life worth living.

The world is a sad place, I think.

Thanks again for stopping by Timothy.

Thursday, 23 August, 2007  
Blogger Timothy said...

Exactly, isn't that the principle that modern advertising is founded on? Make the consumer think they need the product to get by, make them unsatisfied with all of their current possessions. Make them think about your product, make them be willing to go into debt to have your product, etc.

When societies derive meaning in their external circumstances, such as wealth, and the respect of friends, and the aesthetics of their body, the very idea of a 'church' does not stand a chance. Churches become confused as to why attendance is steadily dropping, and in response they do the worst thing possible; make the church more appealing to the senses with contemporary music, stylish sermons, and gimmicks.

Even the ancient greek philosophers recognised that riches, honour, luxuries, etc. did not lead to 'the good life'. Anyway im beginning to get increasingly off topic, thanks for your posts burning bush.

Thursday, 23 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Barrak Obama recently made a reference to this passage.

Read a summary here.

Basically he says that building one's house upon the rock is a command to be fulfilled by the government.

Although Mr. Obama has said things about faith and spirituality that I agree with, this message seems like a great tangent from Christ's message which he preached to individuals.

A collapsing government is a sad thing, indeed. A collapsing life -such as an act of suicide- is far, far worse. It is a tragedy far worse than the loss of a million good governments.

Tuesday, 28 August, 2007  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the reference to the ancient Greeks. I write about them here sometimes.

I tend to remember the way government preys on people and credits itself with giving a person meaning. Business does this as well, just as you said. That's a good reminder.

External things can only satisfy external things (gimmicks as you say), but the spirit gives to spirit.

Tuesday, 28 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home