Saturday, September 22, 2007

Recommendations

Thought I would give a brief introduction and update on the blogs I've been reading.

First off, I would like to say I highly recommend bjk's blog,
InTheQuiet. Her writing is inward, intensely personal and confessional. Her style has really made her into what I would consider to be an original voice (and those voices are hard to find these days!). While I am often given to writing in contempt of the news media or current events, she maintains a form of inner dialog which is irrelevant to the world but interesting to God.

Tim has been writing some excellent posts lately, the kind that keep you on your toes. We were writing a lot about Abraham at one point. He currently has an excellent
story about a traveling man asking a deceptively simple question with a twist at the end. Existentialism is a lot more than I want to get into explaining here on this blog -mostly because so many "existential" writers really care so little about actually having an existing self. I'll leave it at that.

SocietyVS also has a blog worth reading. I have spent more time commenting there than I have all of the other blogs combined (a good opportunity to ask oneself: 'what do the Scriptures say?'). The writer there, Jason, makes radical demands of his Church leadership and isn't afraid of losing favor with men. He has a lot of views about building 'belief systems' and 'structures' and he also has a lot of political views which I am always very tempted to respond to. Of course a flawless political view is often infintely inferior to a corresponding view of God's, and I try to remember this. So check him out, and remember that my endorsement doesn't necessarily mean I agree with him completely.

One time where I posted an excerpt from one of Kierkegaard's writings I received a comment from someone named
Mister Beastly. At first I thought it was odd that someone who seemed to be claiming to be associated with 'the Beast' was agreeing with what I had to say. 'Either I seriously need to repent of my writings,' I thought, 'Or there is some kind of irony here I do not understand.' Maybe, to some extent at least, I was right! Mister Beastly is not afraid to take the appearance of a lowly sinner. His posts are not boastful about his accomplishments, if anything he seems to boast in his weakness. His latest post on finding a 'work ethic' is sneaky in the sense that it takes a basic life reflection and reveals the spiritual.

Disjectamembra and MereOrthodoxy are definitely two sites worth checking out. They tend to lean more toward the 'big ideas' than devotion, but sometimes I am surprised. Disjectamembra's writer has moved to another blog (the address is available if you go to his old blog). He has an art degree and a theology doctorate, so his writings are lively to say the least. Mere Orthodoxy is run by a group of my old college friends.

Anyway, I hope you like these folks. Their writings are worth a read!

2 Comments:

Blogger Micah Hoover said...

As an aside, I am somewhat surprised to find that all of these writers -myself included- are about the same age, give or take a year. At least I think we are.

As one of the last of my generation, I find I have some difficulty reconciling the high-minded topics of my college years with the real world I find around me.

I'm finding a lot of answers in my boyhood introduction to Jesus. Perhaps there is something of that in all our writings?

Wednesday, 26 September, 2007  
Blogger Bill Stevenson said...

Wow! Thanks for the shout out guy! I'll be sure to return the fav one of these days! Isn't it interesting that as we look at things and pretend to know more and understand deeper the meanings of things that we forget the simple things that make life worth living? No matter what, put God's kingdom first by becoming like a child to Christ and everything else will be added to you!
I tried to be one of those deep intellectuals that understood and had an opinion on pre, mid, or post, the different terms of sanctification and levels of heaven but came to find that the only time those terms matter was when i was trying to impress someone. Hugging someone as they cried over a broken heart become much more real.

Saturday, 06 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home