Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mercy River

Forgiveness is to a soul as the monsoon is to the desert. In it lies the power to cleanse, restore, and nurture new life. Just as the rain does not come to the desert in response to any power that belongs to the desert but comes of its own accord, so too does forgiveness flow freely from the mercy of God. The power of the monsoon is announced in advance by a thunderous force so great that it seems to portend destruction of the life that remains after the long drought rather than promise the needed restoration. In like manner, does the soul who refuses to repent, being deceived by pride, fear the touch of God and His judgement; even though there is no hope for life but in that very touch of God. Life in the desert can survive without much water but can only live for so long. So too is the pride of human beings. There is an end appointed to all self-endurance. There is also a time appointed for recognition of He Who is the only giver of life. He sends the monsoon to the desert and has sent His forgiveness to men and women in the form of His Son.

When forgiveness finally comes to the repentant heart, it is as the rain in the desert that first settles the dry dust, washing the air and making it clean. Then rivulets begin to form, cleansing the nooks,crannies, and all the hidden places. The rivulets turn to streams that clear the dry riverbeds of all debris. The ground is soaked within minutes and when the rain stops, the sun peeks from behind the clouds as they pass and a sparkling world made clean is revealed. A bow in the clouds appears and the birds, rejoicing, burst into song, praising God for the renewal of life in their desert home. This too is the condition of a dry and bitter heart that can no longer endure by the power of its own pride and turns to Jesus.

When I sin, I want mercy and I want forgiveness. When someone sins against me, I am likely to shout for recompense and justice; but the Son of Man also has the power to forgive sins upon the earth. I am like the desert and there is no great mercy or natural forgiveness that flows freely toward others from me. I must depend upon Jesus just as the desert depends upon the monsoon rains. The desert can only bloom by the water that God pours upon it. I too can only give mercy and forgiveness to others as they flow through me from God by Jesus, Who lives in me. I pray that God will keep me humble before Him, fully aware of all my disobedience and pride as I lay them, daily, before Him receiving His mercy anew.

May His mercy and forgiveness become a mighty river flowing through me and through all who belong to Christ Jesus!

Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that He may have mercy on them all.


3 Comments:

Blogger Micah Hoover said...

"I too can only give mercy and forgiveness to others as they flow through me from God by Jesus, Who lives in me." JoyIndestructible

I find it easy to have an attitude of, 'Wow, that person really needs forgivenness ...' almost as though I didn't need it myself. Yet I am far more aware of my own need to be forgiven than anyone else.

Forgivenness can definitely be the difference between life and death. Sometimes for the one who needs to forgive as much as the one who needs to be forgiven.

Thanks for the post, JoyIndestructible.

Saturday, 12 July, 2008  
Blogger joyindestructible said...

The response I desire to have when sinned against is, "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do." but that isn't usually my first response, I'm sad to say. When I respond selfishly then I am sinning also and my sin is against God Who has forgiven me of everything. We are, most difinitely, all sinners and I am so greatful for God's desire to have mercy upon us all.

You are right about the need to forgive. When one has been victimized it is unforgiveness that allows the person who has hurt us to hurt us again and again each day that we hold onto our victimization.

Sunday, 13 July, 2008  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

Yeah, I also fail to respond that way first. Part of that is my fault, but I also think that the right response never happens 'automatically' if that makes any sense.

Monday, 14 July, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home